Figuring out the controls to DayZ Mod can be challenging first mainly because of all you can do. Remember this mod is based off of military simulator ARMA II, It’s not your average “run and gun” style game. But a more intricate and precise movement, viewing, shooting and social process. But don’t let that scare you away, once you get the basics down it becomes comfortable and easier to understand!
Before we get into the keys here are a few symbols we will be using in this guide:
~ DT = DOUBLE-TAP
~ NUMPAD refers to a key on the number pad located to the right of your keyboard.
~ [#] See tips regarding this particular keybind.
Now that we have that sorted out, here are the keyboard controls for DayZ Mod:
(Here is a cheat sheet to help you get started)
- RUN/WALK: SHIFT (DT toggle)
- SPRINT: DT W
- PRONE: Z
- CROUCH: X
- STAND: C
- VAULT (step over fences): V
- LEAN (roll when prone): Q and E (Left and Right, DT toggle)
- CLIMB LADDER/ACTION: MOUSE WHEEL SCROLL / CLICK (often times you may have to re-position yourself to successfully climb a ladder, look for a up/down arrow) 
- THIRD PERSON: NUMPAD ENTER (ensure you are in a 3rd person enabled server for this to work)
- ZOOM OUT/WIDER FIELD OF VIEW: DT NUMPAD -
- ZOOM IN: HOLD RCLICK
- IRONSIGHTS: TAP RCLICK
- HOLD BREATH: HOLD RCLICK (whilst aiming down sights)
- FREE LOOK: ALT (DT toggle)
- CYCLE CHAT CHANNEL: , and .
- CHAT: /
- VOIP/PTT: CAPS LOCK (DT toggle)
- MUTE PLAYER: P > SELECT PLAYER > MUTE (located to the right)
- OPEN INVENTORY: G
- PICK-UP ITEM: G or MOUSE WHEEL SCROLL / CLICK
- USE/CONSUME ITEM: RCLICK ITEM ICON IN INVENTORY (specifically the icon, rather than the name in the list)
- CYCLE WEAPON (cycle through grenades, flares, throwable items): F
- SWITCH WEAPON (cycle between your primary and secondary weapon): ;
- LOWER/RAISE PRIMARY (does not work with pistols): DT LCTRL or RCTRL + R
- ZERO (adjust distance of sniper scope/shots): PAGE UP / PAGE DOWN
- BINOCULARS: B
- WATCH: O (DT toggle)
- COMPASS: K (DT toggle)
- NVG: N (DT toggle?)
- MAP: M 
- FLASHLIGHT/HEADLIGHTS: L
- SIT: ‘
- SALUTE: \
- TOGGLE WINDOWED/FULLSCREEN: ALT+ENTER (I believe you have to press ESC to bring up the menu, then ALT+ENTER)
With basic keyboard movement and controls you will be adventuring in no time!
- FLUSHING: If you experience graphical glitches, sometimes ‘flushing’ might help. To do this, hold SHIFT and NUMPAD – and type ‘flush’.
-  CAN’T PICK UP AN ITEM?: I have occasionally struggled to pick up an item from a certain stash on the ground, usually because it is right next to a door. People often miss this simple tip: scroll the mouse wheel up/down until you have the option of ‘Take x y z’ or ‘Gear’.
-  LOST? One of the best maps I have found online so far is AvidBlur’s. http://avidblur.com/arma2/
Hopefully this guide has helped you with all the controls and keyboard bindings in DayZ! Stay Alive!